Every Thanksgiving weekend I take some of the fun time to back up my entire archive, defrag and clean up my computers (very exciting, I know). This year I’ve made the resolution to go all cloud in the future, so I hope that I just bought the last external hard drive for my archives, ever.
One of the productivity and archive challenges I’m facing is finding a killer digital library management tool. … Anyone have suggestions?
I’m basically looking for the Amazon Kindle library functionality, without their DRM locking to their own app (and they also don’t allow non-Amazon file uploads, and different file formats other than the email option and I’m not emailing hundreds of books/presentations to myself).
This may not exist, yet. I know there’s lots of pieces of these kind of services that I’ve found through searching and trying out applications, but I haven’t found a perfect solution yet so I’m turning to the crowd to see if there’s something I should try out.
- Android & IOS support (web availability would be awesome too)
- Cloud-based with large storage (the library of books/pdfs/presentations I’m moving has thousands of documents from the past 12 years), so large cloud storage space is excellent, but offering the ability to only sync/download the books/files to the deviceI’m currently using would be very helpful
- Support for ePub, Mobi, PDF (and ideally other formats, but at least those three are deal breakers)
- Library-wide deep search
- Sync your reading location across platforms
- Note-taking/tracking that are private, but can be made publicly shareable (Advanced sharing features would be huge, I don’t think we’ve even scratched the surface of how powerful ebooks can be, but I just need to get the library up first, then I can worry about this next level of Maslow’s Heirarchy of Digital Needs)
Would be awesome, but not deal breakers:
- Support for audio books and music, too!
- Book lending support
- Some way to sign into my Amazon & Apple accounts for those books too
Some of the tools I’ve been testing have pieces of what I need, but nothing’s knocked it out of the park that I’ve seen so far:
- Google Drive
- Moon+ Reader
- Cool Reader
- Ibis Reader
- Mantano Reader
- And a bunch of others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Android_e-book_reader_software
- Some hacked together Calibre – Drop Box combo?
Are there other workflows I should be considering because this is totally unrealistic? (I know it’s a first world problem but syncing books between the phone/tablet every few weeks as I work through them seems like something that should be eliminated by cloud-based library technology by now.)
Thanks for any ideas you can offer!